Weekly Geeks: Ten Things about Books and Me
Weekly Geeks this week asked us to list ten things about yourself in relation to books. They then exhorted us to let our imaginations run wild. Lists, imagination, and books? Count me in!
1. It literally pains me to turn down the corner of pages. Therefore, I’m never without a bookmark, book dart, or odd piece of paper to use to mark my place.
2. My favorite kind of book is a second-hand one with an inscription in the front. They’re like little windows into someone else’s life (and mysteries unto themselves since you then wonder how they ended up in the secondhand store).
3. My book weight is possibly the best thing I bought in all of my three years at college.
4. Writing out an exhaustive list of my books on a legal pad invariably calms me down when I’m stressed or angry.
5. Books about books are my favorite genre, if done well. 19th-century British literature is my favorite no matter what, since it’s more consistent in terms of quality.
6. I tend to read one pleasure/fiction book and one academic book at a time. And one Classics Challenge book if that’s running concurrently!
7. Suddenly I’ve entered a life stage where everything I’m reading causes my mother to say, “Oh, I read that when I was your age!”
8. The best spent days are the ones spent curled up in a comfortable chair reading (and finishing!) one book with occasional breaks for good food and tea.
9. In organizing books, categorization (by genre, preferably) is most important followed closely by alphabetization. (I didn’t come from a family of librarians for nothing!)
10. I really miss my bookends! Somehow a tin of tea with a can of condensed milk on the top just isn’t the same or nearly as effective.
What about you, dear readers? Share some of your personal bookish traits below!