Weekly Geeks: Reassess Your Blog
If you are a book blogger*, register for BBAW….To register you must find your best 5 posts from the last year. Find yours even if you don’t register for BBAW. Then tell us why are these your best posts of the last year.
This week’s prompt was deceptively simple. Of course we have five wonderful posts! I thought. This is going to be such a cinch.
But to find the five best…that’s another story. I felt like Goldilocks while sorting through my entries for the past year. This one’s too long, that one’s too short, that one’s too serious and this one isn’t serious enough. I fared better when choosing posts my co-blogger, Corey, had written, but I couldn’t just throw up a link to my favorite posts of hers and call it a day.
Well, I could have, but that would have been a cowardly dodging of the sort of self-examination this week’s prompt invites. So while the list below seems like just a simple post of the “greatest hits” ilk, rest assured that it’s the result of much soul- (and blog-)searching.
In no particular order, here are this year’s five best posts:
- Loving the Undead. Corey examines the current vampire trend and its predecessors, prompted by a (now not-so) recent New York Times article. And as we get about 20 hits a day from people searching the word “vampires,” I’m willing to bet this post is responsible for a lot of our site traffic.
- When can you say you “read” something? This post still is one of our most-commented, and Corey was definitely surprised to discover how passionately people felt about the validity of audio books.
- Fairy Tale Friday: Beauty and the Beast. I loved exploring the different variations on the Beauty/Beast theme with this post, which was a little more academic than my previous Disney-related FTF.
- Eldest: Inheritance, Book 2. Even though the book was disappointing, this review is everything I wish my others could be. My goal here was to address the main issues I had with the novel without beating them to death, and I think I mostly succeeded — even though now we get several hits a month with people looking for “Arya eragon porn.”
- Top Ten: Literary Hotties (Halloween Edition). This joint effort between Corey and I is one of the most fun posts we’ve ever done. We’ve talked about revamping it for other holidays but haven’t quite gotten there yet — maybe that’s a goal for this coming year!
Do you have a favorite post of ours that we didn’t mention here? Let us know about it in the comments!