Weekly Geeks: Author Fun Facts
This week’s prompt was simply to compile a list of fun facts about a favorite author, then post links to the posts of other Geeks and their favorite authors. Easy peasy! The hardest part is deciding on a favorite author. Corey and I have a lot of “favorite” authors, but one I know we both love is Susanna Clarke, author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.
Susanna Clarke Fun Facts
* Clarke graduated from Oxford with a degree in philosophy, politics, and economics.
* Clarke made her big break when her partner, sci-fi writer Colin Greenland, showed her first short story to his friend Neil Gaiman.
* She spent 10 years editing cookbooks for Simon and Schuster, during which she continued to write short stories and work on her novel.
* Clarke taught English as a foreign language in Italy and Spain — and came up with the idea for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell while teaching in Spain.
* Clarke currently lives in Cambridge, where she is working on a novel to follow Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.